One Ingredient Ice Cream
If it’s hot, and you’re pregnant, then there’s nothing better than a very large bowl of delicious ice cream. Actually, there is something better; ice cream that’s healthy, so you can eat as much as you like as often as you like. Even your midwife will approve!
Makes one cup
1 large ripe banana
Bananas are better if they are ripe and soft
Cut the bananas into coins and freeze (at least two hours before, but ideally overnight)
- Blend/pulse the frozen banana pieces in a food processor or blender (if you are using smaller quantities then a small processor seems to work best)
- Keep blending and stop to scrape down the food processor a few times. It will look crumbly at first and then gradually start to turn into creamy, soft serve ice cream.
- If adding any mix-ins, like peanut butter or chocolate chips, this is the moment to do it (if you are adding in other frozen fruit, add this in at the same time as the frozen banana pieces)
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until solid. You can eat the ice cream immediately, but it will be quite soft.
Add in other flavours
One ingredient is what makes this recipe so ingenious, but a couple of extras flavours won’t add too much fuss. Here are a few ideas to get you started
- Spoonful of nut butter
- Drizzle of honey
- 1/2 tspn of vanilla
- Handful of chocolate chips
- A few almonds
- Dollop of Nutella
- Scoop of cookie butter
- Tablespoon of cocoa powder
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon, cardamom, or ginger
- Other frozen fruit (such as blueberries or mango)